About Forests Forever
Forests Forever is an initiative of the Timber Trade Federation and was established in 1990 as an independent, voluntary funded body to represent the views of all timber and wood using industries in the UK on environmental issues.
Forests Forever's aim is to help safeguard the forests of the world and Britain's future timber supplies and to promote wood as an environmentally friendly material.
As an industry wide campaign, Forests Forever is supported by major companies in the timber and woodworking industries. In addition, various organisations are represented on the Forests Forever Advisory Council including:
Forests Forever carries out a diverse range of activities. These include:
- Timber Trade Federation
- British Woodworking Federation
- British Furniture Manufacturers Association
- British Wood Preserving and Damp-proofing Association
- Forestry Commission
- Forestry Committee of Great Britain
- Timber Research and Development Association
- Council of Forest Industries of British Columbia
- Wood Panel Products Association
- British Traditional Cabinet Makers Association
- Being actively involved in discussions at international level with the aim of conveying our concerns about forest management, and the concerns of UK wood users, directly to overseas suppliers and government representatives.
- Holding seminars with MPs, architects and specifiers which explain the importance of timber to the UK economy and outline the environmental issues which are associated with the use of timber.
- Producing and promoting an Environmental Policy for timber-using companies which commits signatories to specific and attainable environmental action. To date over 100 timber related companies in the UK have signed the Policy. A major aim of the Policy is to ensure timber companies establish as far as possible where there timber derives from, and the nature of forest management at source.
- Responding to numerous queries from a wide range of people (supporters, media, specifiers, public, overseas trade and government) about the use of timber and its impact on the environment. To aid this work Forests Forever has produced a handy information pack, which deals with issues such as forest management in timber supplying countries, restricting the trade in tropical hardwoods, independent certification of timber and timber products and the environmental merits of using timber as a building material.